Last week I started working on part two of the Week in the Life project. It took several days to edit the photos I wanted to print, then I used my Selphy to print them all. In hindsight, it would probably have been better to send the pictures to a photo printing site like Shutterfly, but using the Selphy is so easy…I just didn’t even think about it until I was half way done! Once my photos were printed, I deliberated over what type of album to put them in. I had both horizontal and vertical photos I wanted to include and I didn’t have page protectors that would easily accommodate that. I wanted to spend as little money as possible on the project and use supplies I already had (at least for the most part), so divided page protectors were out. I also didn’t want a huge 12×12 album. So what size did I end up with? 10 1/2×11. Yes, you read that right. Let me explain…
Once I had figured out that I didn’t want page protectors and a large album, I thought maybe I could buy some chipboard, punch holes and use ring clips to make an album. I went to Michael’s and found the perfect thing: a kit with 10 already-hole-punched chipboard pages plus rings! It was $5 and I had a 50% off coupon. $2.50 for my “album?” Yes, please! They were large pieces and I assumed they were 12×12. I thought that since they were less bulky than an actual 3-ringed album, it would be okay at that size. Got them home and looked at them again next to my 12×12 paper. They were just smaller. I measured. 10 1/2″ x 11″. How handy…
That meant I had to trim my paper to be exactly that size. When I put my photos against the patterned paper I had picked out, they sort of blended into the background too much. They didn’t pop. “I know!” thought my ingenious little self, “I’ll cut white cardstock paper to mat them!” I cut a few rectangles to frame my 3×4 photos and put them on the paper. It looked great! Amazing! Stupendous!
Then I started putting the album together.
I printed a TON of pictures, so I needed a TON of little white cardstock mats. I also needed a TON of background pages and everything needed a TON of adhesive since it wasn’t going into a page protector. I ran out of adhesive at one point and had to go to Michael’s for more. Got home with my 3 pack of Tombow roller adhesive and discovered that I had actually bought a pack of refills, not individual rollers. I was determined not to go back to Michael’s again, so I used the refills (with much difficulty, I might add) to finish the last several pages.
I still love this project, but I have A LOT of ideas for how to make it better and easier next time!!
I’ve got some (not that great) pictures of my progress. There are still a few things I want to add and then next week, I’m planning to make a video walk through of the final project. Here’s what I’ve got so far:
This is the cover before I decorated it. The chipboard is REALLY thick and the rings are quite strong. I’m happy about that since I’m wanting this album/project to last a good long time!
The decorated cover! I had a lot of fun putting this together last night and I’m pleased with how it turned out.
Each day has a 6×11″ sheet that is a write up from my daily note sheets. I added the day and date to each one. Monday was a full day!
On the back of the write up sheets, I have pictures followed by a full page with more pictures. No captions necessary since it’s all explained in the half-page of journaling.
Thursday was a little different since there was NO room on the sheet for a day/date! I ended up putting it on that white card which is attached to the side of the page underneath. I had two extra pictures for the day that I didn’t want to put by themselves on the back of the full page. So I added this small piece with washi tape. That probably made no sense, but you’ll see it better in the video!
Here’s how I accommodated the vertical pictures with the horizontal pictures.
Sunday was also a full day and I had just enough pictures to finish the last page!
Some finishing touches and I’ll be DONE! Look for the final video of my Week in the Life next Tuesday!